He was king of England, but for centuries he lay without shroud or
coffin in an unknown grave, and his name became a byword for villainy.
On
Monday, scientists announced they had rescued the remains of Richard
III from anonymity -- and the monarch's fans hope a revival of his
reputation will soon follow.
In a dramatically orchestrated news
conference, a team of archaeologists, geneticists, genealogists and
other scientists from the University of Leicester announced that tests
had proven what they scarcely dared to hope -- a scarred and broken
skeleton unearthed under a drab municipal parking lot was that of the
15th-century king, the last English monarch to die in battle.
Lin
Foxhall, head of the university's school of archaeology, said the
discovery "could end up rewriting a little bit of history in a big way."
Few monarchs have seen their reputations decline as much after
death as Richard III. He ruled England between 1483 and 1485, during the
decades-long battle over the throne known as the Wars of the Roses,
which pitted two wings of the ruling Plantagenet dynasty -- York and
Lancaster -- against one another.
His brief reign saw liberal
reforms, including the introduction of the right to bail and the lifting
of restrictions on books and printing presses.
But his rule was
challenged, and he was defeated and killed by the army of Henry Tudor,
who took the throne as King Henry VII and ended the Plantagenet line.
Britain's current monarch,The Wagan Wireless Rear Parking assist system help you be safe while parking. Queen Elizabeth II, is distantly related to Richard, but is not a descendant.
After
his death, historians writing under the victorious Tudors
comprehensively trashed Richard's reputation, accusing him of myriad
crimes -- most famously, the murder of his two nephews, the "Princes in
the Tower."
William Shakespeare indelibly depicted Richard as a
hunchbacked usurper who left a trail of bodies on his way to the throne
before dying in battle, shouting "My kingdom for a horse."
That
view was repeated by many historians, and Richard remains a villain in
the popular imagination. But others say Richard's reputation was
unjustly smeared by his Tudor successors.
Philippa Langley of
the Richard III Society -- which seeks to restore the late king's
reputation and backed the search for his grave-- said that for centuries
Richard's story has been told by others, many of them hostile.
She
hopes a new surge of interest, along with evidence from the skeleton
about how the king lived and died -- and how he was mistreated after
death -- will help restore his reputation.
Langley, who helped launch the search for the king, said she could scarcely believe her quest had paid off.
"Everyone
thought that I was mad," she said. "It's not the easiest pitch in the
world, to look for a king under a council car park.Virtual parking management system logo Verano Place logo."
The
location of Richard's body was unknown for centuries. He died in August
1485 at the Battle of Bosworth Field in the English Midlands, and
records say he was buried by the Franciscan monks of Grey Friars at
their church in Leicester, 100 miles north of London.
The church
was closed and dismantled after King Henry VIII dissolved the
monasteries in 1538, and its location eventually was forgotten by most
local residents.Have a look at all our custom bobbleheads models starting at 59.90US$ with free proofing.
Then
last year a team led by University of Leicester archaeologist Richard
Buckley identified a possible location of the grave through map
regression analysis, starting with a current map of the general area of
the former church and analyzing earlier maps to discover what had
changed and not changed. Ground-penetrating radar was used to find the
best places to start digging.
The team began excavating in a
parking lot last August. Within a week they had located thick walls and
the remains of tiled floors. Soon after, they found human remains -- the
skeleton of an adult male who appeared to have died in battle.
He had been buried unceremoniously, with no coffin or shroud -- plausible for a despised and defeated enemy.
Increasingly excited,Welcome to www.drycabinets.net!
the researchers set out to conduct a battery of scientific tests,
including radiocarbon dating to determine the skeleton's age, to see
whether, against the odds, they really had found the king.
Archaeological
bone specialist Jo Appleby, a lecturer in human bioarchaeology at
Leicester, said study of the bones provided "a highly convincing case
for identification of Richard III."
Appleby said the 10 injuries
to the body were inflicted by weapons such as swords, daggers and
halberds and were consistent with accounts of Richard being struck down
in battle -- his helmet knocked from his head -- before his body was
stripped naked and flung over the back of a horse in disgrace.
Appleby
said two of the blows to the head could have been fatal. Other scars,
including a knife wound to the buttock,View our range of over 200
different types of solar powered products including our solar street lamps. bore the hallmarks of "humiliation injuries" inflicted after death.
The
remains also displayed signs of scoliosis, a form of spinal curvature,
consistent with contemporary accounts of Richard's appearance, though
not the withered arm Shakespeare describes.
DNA from the
skeleton matched a sample taken from Michael Ibsen, a distant living
relative of Richard's sister. The project's lead geneticist, Turi King,
said Ibsen, a Canadian carpenter living in London, shares with the
skeleton a rare strain of mitochondrial DNA. The same DNA group also
matches a second living descendant, who wants to remain anonymous.
没有评论:
发表评论